Today I was working with lighting in 3Ds max. For one of the scenes, we wanted a daylight system. I looked up and followed a few tutorials on daylight lighting off the Internet on test rooms to see what they would look like. However, I encountered a problem. Many error messages would appear when I tried to render out the scene as a single image or a video. The program would either crash or shut down. I tried to move computers, however, the problem re-occurred. I then contacted a technician and he could not get to the bottom of the problem either. His advice was to just try to light it from the beginning as it would be quicker. I got a single picture out of the lighting set- up (below) and i think although detailed, it looks unlit or a night time scene instead of the day time scene.
I used another lighting process the second time round. This included a skylight and sunlight systems. These provided ample light and produced a very dreamy effect, exactly what we wanted. it used radiosity based lighting and the light coming in through the window was very effective.


We used still images from this scene in some of our animation, but when I rendered out a video, it was very jumpy. This I was told was because radiosity rendering calculates the light differently on each frame. This makes the shadows chance, therefore making the scene very jumpy and grainy. I showed it to two 3D tutors who could not resolve the problem.
No comments:
Post a Comment